A Division of the International Studies Office

F-1 Transfers In and Out of UVa

F-1 Transfers In and Out of UVa

Transfers and Maintenance of Status

Moving from one school to another, even if to a higher degree level, is considered a transfer of F-1 status.  You must be maintaining your F-1 status in order to be eligible to transfer in or out of UVA. 

Transferring In

Students already in the U.S. in F-1 status, whether in secondary or post-secondary education, must work with their current school's Designated School Official (DSO) to have their SEVIS record released to UVA. Students transferring their status to UVA must provide documentation of continued eligibility for F-1 status including documentation of adequate funding. The I-20 from UVA cannot be issued until the SEVIS record is released, and the release date has been reached. Please consult with the international office at your current school for SEVIS release policies.  Our School Code is WAS214F00090000.

Transferring Out

F-1 students transferring out of UVA must complete the SEVIS Transfer Release Process. Please do not initiate until you have been accepted and have decided to enroll in the new school.  Transfer out requests cannot be made after the 60-day grace period following completion of studies. Your new school cannot issue the new I-20 until your record is released to them from UVA.  If you are on OPT, the release date you choose will terminate the OPT on that day so choose accordingly. The transfer out date ends all employment on grounds and off grounds.