Congratulations on your admission to the University of Virginia! We welcome you to the international student body of more than 2,500 graduate and undergraduate students from over 100 countries. We look forward to meeting you. If you are an exchange student, please visit the exchange student page.
Please follow the steps below in the order listed to obtain your immigration document. Skipping steps will result in delay of creating your immigration documents.
Accept your offer with UVA.
Read the following resources:
Complete our initial I-20/DS-2019 survey. This form is required if you intend to study in the United States under the F-1 or J-1 visa.
Within 5-6 business days after you submit the survey, you will receive a link to your UVA email with instructions to access ISSP Connect to complete your immigration request. Please use a laptop or desktop computer to complete immigration request. Do not use a mobile device. Ensure you complete all required fields and checkboxes within the request.
Do not attempt to log into ISSP Connect prior to receiving the invitation to access the system as you will not be able to request your I-20 or DS-2019.
Check your UVA email. You will receive an email when an advisor requires more information, or when your I-20 or DS-2019 is ready.
Steps to obtain your visa document and application
- Pay your I-901 SEVIS Fee.
- If you received a Transfer I-20, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.
- F-1 or J-1 Visa Application Process
- Entering the U.S. under a new F1 or J1 status
Check-in with ISO and UVA
- Immigration Check In with ISO (Required)
- Upload your documents [note: I-94 not available for upload until after U.S. arrival]
- Update personal contact information
- Complete the online orientation presentation and assessment before you arrive on Grounds
- Complete Your Pre-Entrance Student Health Record
- Purchase mandatory health insurance coverage
- You will need coverage beginning your first day in the U.S. The University-approved Aetna plan does not begin until August 15. For short-term coverage plans the following resource can be consulted: NAFSA Insurance Search.
- Required English language proficiency test for graduate students
- Determine if you need to take the University of Virginia English Language Proficiency Exam (UVELPE) on July 7 or 8, 2021
Failure to submit your documents to ISO will result in a block on your university registration and may potentially result in a loss of your legal status in the U.S.
The recording of the ISO New International Student Orientation Session from July 14 is now available online at https://virginia.box.com/s/3moym60efyjnv1h450wuh7hrkvzntyrt. In the folder, you’ll also find the copies of the PowerPoint presentations used during the session and the chat. Please note that you will need to sign in with your UVA computing ID and password in order to access the folder. If you have trouble accessing it, please let us know.
Please also check with your department and/or Orientation & New Student Programs for additional required orientation events.
Global Greeters at UVA
- The Global Greeters are UVA students who work with ISO to assist and welcome incoming international students during orientation, and to a lesser degree, throughout their first semester here on Grounds. Follow Global Greeters and connect with them on Facebook and Instagram.
Meet each greeter: The 2021 Global Greeters
For more information or if you have questions, reach out to the Global Greeters Executive Team.
- See the events schedule: Global Greeters Events for August 16-28, 2021
2021 events include:
Picnic on the lawn - Looking for some friends to eat lunch with? Bring a packed lunch and join Global Greeters on the lawn for a casual picnic! We’re so excited to meet you! Meetup on the Rotunda steps on the Lawn side.
Shopping Trips - Need dorm essentials from Barracks Shopping Center? Need help figuring out bus routes? Our Global Greeters are here to help! We’d love to join you as you ride the bus for the first time and explore the shops at Barracks. Meet us at the Central Grounds Garage bus stop.
Insider's Tour - Curious about where the yummiest place to grab a meal between classes is? Want to know where you can find free printing? Our Global Greeters have the inside scoop. Join the Global Greeters for an “insider’s look” at UVA. Meet us at the front steps of Minor Hall.
Quarantine Game Night - Calling all Hoos in quarantine! It sucks being stuck inside, but we’re bringing the fun to you tonight! Catch us on Zoom for some fun games with our Greeters and other new students. Link to sign up on the Global Greeters website. Register for quarantine game night: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBi6J8Cdtb_V_i-ziav23oLxVvTMAW...
Farmer’s Market and Downtown Mall Trip - We’ve figured out the best way to destress after a long first week of classes: hit the Farmer’s Market! Join our Greeters and as we make our way Downtown for the morning. Meet us at the Central Grounds Garage bus stop.
Let us know how we can support you while you are at UVA.
UVA Student Council transportation from Dulles Airport
For students planning to arrive at Dulles International Airport on 8/16/21 and 8/18/21, UVA Student Council will be providing incoming students with low-cost transportation on these two dates. For more information, see Registration for Student Council Airport Shuttle from Dulles (IAD).
For general information and to reach Charlottesville on other days, see the section Travel to Charlottesville