Congratulations on your admission to the University of Virginia! We welcome you to the international student body of more than 2,500 graduate and undergraduate students from over 100 countries. We look forward to meeting you. If you are an exchange student, please visit the exchange student page.
Please follow the steps below in the order listed to obtain your immigration document. Skipping steps will result in delay of creating your immigration documents.
Accept your offer with UVA.
Read the following resources:
Complete our initial I-20/DS-2019 survey. This form is required if you intend to study in the United States under the F-1 or J-1 visa.
Within 5-6 business days after you submit the survey, you will receive a link to your UVA email with instructions to access ISSP Connect to complete your immigration request. Please use a laptop or desktop computer to complete immigration request. Do not use a mobile device. Ensure you complete all required fields and checkboxes within the request.
Do not attempt to log into ISSP Connect prior to receiving the invitation to access the system as you will not be able to request your I-20 or DS-2019.
Check your UVA email. You will receive an email when an advisor requires more information, or when your I-20 or DS-2019 is ready.
Steps to obtain your visa document and application
- Pay your I-901 SEVIS Fee.
- If you received a Transfer I-20, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.
- F-1 or J-1 Visa Application Process
- Entering the U.S. under a new F1 or J1 status
Check-in with ISO and UVA
- Immigration Check In with ISO (Required)
- Upload your documents [note: I-94 not available for upload until after U.S. arrival]
- Update personal contact information
- Complete the online orientation presentation and assessment before you arrive on Grounds
- Complete Your Pre-Entrance Student Health Record
- Purchase mandatory health insurance coverage
- You will need coverage beginning your first day in the U.S. The University-approved Aetna plan does not begin until August 15. For short-term coverage plans the following resource can be consulted: NAFSA Insurance Search.
- Required English language proficiency test for graduate students
- Determine if you need to take the University of Virginia English Language Proficiency Exam (UVELPE) on July 7 or 8, 2021
Failure to submit your documents to ISO will result in a block on your university registration and may potentially result in a loss of your legal status in the U.S.
Students Enrolling Fall 2021
Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 8:30 – 10 AM Eastern Time on Zoom. Register here
All new international students holding all non-immigrant statuses should attend the ISO Orientation Session. International student advisors will review important immigration regulations, how to maintain your legal status, and resources for international students. The maintenance of your legal status is your responsibility. Attendance will maximize your chances of success while studying in the U.S.
Please also check with your department and/or Orientation & New Student Programs for additional required orientation events.
Meet: The Global Greeters!
The Global Greeters are UVA students who work with ISO to assist and welcome incoming international students during orientation, and to a lesser degree, throughout their first semester here on Grounds. Check out their summer events and resources and connect with them on Facebook and Instagram.
Let us know how we can support you while you are at UVA.
UVA Express is a program designed to help transition new international first-year, transfer undergraduate, and exchange students living outside of the United States into life at the University of Virginia. Although the program is unable to provide a shuttle from Dulles for students arriving for fall 2020 and spring 2021, we will be in contact directly with new students about the offerings this year. Ways to reach Charlottesville, VA.