Congratulations on your admission to the University of Virginia! We welcome you to the international student body of more than 2,500 graduate and undergraduate students from over 100 countries. We look forward to meeting you.
If you are an exchange student, please visit the exchange student page.
Here is what you need to do next.
1. Visa Document and Application
- Determine if you wish to obtain F-1 or J-1 status (details about each status)
- Request visa documents from UVA: New Student Request
- Complete and submit your visa application: F-1 or J-1 Visa Application Process
Additional information about acquiring F-1 or J-1 Status:
- Entering the U.S. under a new F1 or J1 status
- Changing to F1 or J1 Status
- Transferring your F1 or J1 status to UVA
2. Check-in with ISO and UVA
- Immigration Check In with ISO (Required)
- Upload your documents [note: I-94 not available for upload until after U.S. arrival]
- Update personal contact information
- Complete the online orientation presentation and assessment before you arrive on Grounds
- Complete Your Pre-Entrance Student Health Record
- Purchase mandatory health insurance coverage
You will need coverage beginning your first day in the U.S. The University-approved Aetna plan does not begin until August 15. For short-term coverage plans the following resource can be consulted: NAFSA Insurance Search.
3. ISO Orientation
Students Enrolling Spring 2020
Friday, January 10
10 am - 12 pm
Please check with your department and/or Orientation & New Student Programs for additional orientation events.
Failure to submit your documents to ISO will result in a block on your university registration and may potentially result in a loss of your legal status in the U.S.
Let us know how we can support you while you are at UVA.
Meet: The Global Greeters!
The Global Greeters are UVA students who work with ISO to assist and welcome incoming international students during the week of orientation in August, and to a lesser degree, throughout their first semester here on Grounds. Check out their events during orientation and connect with them on Facebook.
Register for: UVA Express
UVA Express is a program designed to help transition new first-year, transfer undergraduate students, and undergraduate exchange students living outside of the United States into life at the University of Virginia. It is a free, one-way bus transportation and hospitality program from Dulles International Airport in Washington, DC to the University of Virginia (2020 date will be announced in late spring). If you are unable to arrive in the U.S. on this day, there are other ways to reach Charlottesville, VA.