All F-1 students on post-completion OPT should use the Reporting Requirements button on our homepage to report the following within ten days of any change:
- Any change in residential address and email address
- Any change in employer
- Any change in employer address
- Any interruption in employment
A loss of F-1 status will result from:
- Failure to provide the ISO with information about a change in address or employment within ten days of any change
- Failure to report address and employment information to the ISO at the initition of any STEM extension and every six months thereafter
- Unemployment for an aggregate of 90 days during the initial OPT period
- Unemployment for an aggregate of 120 days during the intitial OPT period and any STEM extension
Employment information should include:
- Full name & address of employer
- Start Date of Employment (& End Date if known)
- Your Job Title
- Supervisor’s Name, Email Address and Phone Number
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) if known
The STEM OPT extension requires students to report every 6 months to ISO to confirm employment. You must also inform your employer that if you lose employment, the employer must report this to ISO within 2 days.
Departure from the U.S.
If you leave the U.S. temporarily for travel, with the intention of returning to OPT-authorized employment, you will still need your I-20 signed for travel by the ISO. Our signature should be no older than six months. You will be expected upon return to the U.S. to possess a passport valid at least 6 months beyond reentry; a valid F-1 visa, the signed OPT I-20, your EAD card, and proof of employment.
If you leave the U.S. and will not return to OPT, please inform the ISO to avoid being considered unemployed and at risk for termination of status.