A Division of the International Studies Office

J-1 Academic Training

J-1 Academic Training

Academic Training is employment authorization for J-1 students where the employment is directly related to their program of studies.  It may be used during the semester, during breaks in the academic year or directly following the completion of studies.  The length of time a student is eligible for academic training may not exceed an aggregate of 18 months OR the length of the program, whichever is shorter. Post-doctoral academic training may extend to 36 months.

Throughout the period of academic training a J-1 student's DS-2019 must remain valid, and the J-1 student and any J-2 dependents must maintain adequate health insurance. J-1 students who have completed their studies must continue to maintain health insurance that meets the standards for J-1 scholars and exchange students.


  • Students must be in good academic standing and maintaining J-1 status

  • Employment can be paid or unpaid, but must be directly related to the academic program of study

  • Student must have a written offer of employment.

  • The training must be an integral or critical part of the academic program

How to Apply

Submit the request through our website here:  Student Academic Training Request (J-1)

  • You will be asked to upload a letter from the employer on letterhead documenting the duties of the position, salary, location of the employment and duration of the employment
  • You will need to send a verification request to your academic advisor.   The request form requires the student's advisor to attest that the Academic Training is relevant to the student's academic program and lists the specific goals and objectives for the training.

A J-1 student may not engage in academic training before ISO approval.  Student's must apply for Academic Training before the expiration date listed on the DS-2019 form.

Evaluation of Academic Training Program

At the conclusion of the Academic Training program students are required to submit evaluation form to the ISO.  Complete the form here:


Submit the form to [email protected]


J-1 students who carry a DS-2019 that was not issued by U.Va. should contact their program sponsor regarding any employment.