Tax Reporting Requirement
Taxation Compliance and Software
The International Studies Office (ISO) and the Human Resources Office of Compliance and Immigration Services (HR-CIS) offer free tax return preparation software (FNTR) for the University of Virginia international community for the tax filing year.
If you earned income in the United States during the preceding calendar year you will need to file a tax return. Both earnings from on grounds employment and scholarship/ fellowship payments are considered income. However, even if no U.S. income was earned, you are still required to file tax forms with the U.S. government. This tax software is the easiest method to comply with this requirement
The Foreign National Tax Resource (FNTR) is a web-based tool designed specifically for non-resident alien tax filers. This program produces the required documents to file your Federal taxes (Forms 1040NR or 1040NREZ and Form 8843).
You may also need to file a Virginia tax return. At this time, processing of the Virginia state return is not available through FNTR, you will need to complete VA form 760 for your Virginia return. Please follow the link below to access the required Virginia tax return forms.
If you are unsure of whether you are a non-resident or resident alien for tax purposes, the FNTR tax software program can determine your tax status for you.
Please refer to the email distributed to international students and scholars at UVa from the ISO in March 2019 for information on accessing the FNTR Tax preparation program.
Click here to file your Virginia Tax Return
If you earned no income click here to directly access Federal Tax Form 8843
- Even if you did not earn income in the U.S. in the preceding calendar year, you may have U.S. tax filing requirements. Please refer to the content portion of the FNTR resource for information that will help you make that determination.
- If you do not currently have a social security number, FNTR will produce the W-7 form (application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for you.
- This software is for the UVA community only. Any sharing of the passwords outside of UVA to access this tax prep site will be considered an Honor violation and will be treated accordingly.
- Neither the ISO nor the HR-CIS department can provide tax advice. We are prohibited by law and University policy from answering tax return questions, or assisting with your tax returns.
- Failure to file taxes can severely jeopardize future applications for immigration benefits such as employment-based visa status or a Green Card.
If you have questions please contact Logan Hobbs at (434) 924-1377 or email@example.com