Search This Site

A Division of the International Studies Office

Family/Dependent Visas (J-2)

The spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of individuals in J-1 status are eligible for J-2 status. Only the spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 will be issued Form DS-2019 to support J-2 status.

J-2 DS-2019 Request Form.  The J-2 Request form must be completed and submitted to the ISO along with the following supplemental documents:

  • proof of financial support in the amount of $500 per person per month for the duration of the J-1's program (in addition to the amount required for the support of the J-1)
  • copy of passport ID page for each applicant
  • proof of health insurance coverage for the duration of the J-1's program

The J-2 status of spouses and children depends on the J-1 status of the parent or spouse. If the parent or spouse is not in status, his or her family is not in status. J-2 spouses and children must also ensure that they maintain a valid passport, valid Form DS-2019 and appropriate health insurance coverage

Dependents eligible for J-2 status may apply for an J-2 visa stamp with their J-1 spouse or parent. Most consulates will schedule J-1 and J-2 visa applications at the same time, but it is important that consulates are informed that there will be accompanying J-2 applicants at the time that a visa application interview is scheduled. 

Adding J-2 dependents after arrival in the US

You may bring J-2 dependents to the US after you have already arrived and started your program.  J-2 dependents are defined as spouse and minor (under age 21) children.  It does not include other family members such as parents or siblings of the J-1 Exchange Visitor.

To obtain the DS-2019 form your J-2 dependents please complete the J-2 request form and attach proof of financial support at an additional $500 per person per month for the duration of your program.  Also attach a copy of each J-2 applicants' passport ID page and proof of insurance coverage that meets the J program requirements.  Submit these documents to the ISO.  The ISO assesses a service fee for issuance of each visa document.  Please have your department administrator complete the ISO Services fee page of the of the form before submitting to the ISO. 

In addition, your dependents may enter the US with a J-2 visa either at the same time you do, or sometime later, until either their J-2 visas expire or about 30 days before  the end date indicated on your form.

PLEASE NOTE! As dependents, J-2 dependents have no status of their own!  Your J-2 dependent’s status is dependent on the validity of your J-1 status. This means your J-2 dependents may not enter the U.S. before you do, or before you check in with ISO.  Further, your J-2 dependent’s status ends when your status ends. Your J-2 dependents may not remain in the U.S. when your J-1 status expires and you have returned to your home country.

In practice, it should not be a problem for your dependents if you go abroad alone for a brief (one month or less) trip, leaving them behind in the U.S.  However, your dependent remains at risk until you return to the U.S. and resume your J-1 status.

Any J-2 dependent that will reach the age of 21 during the J-1 program will lose status on his or her 21st birthday.  Please contact the ISO well in advance to discuss options.