A Division of the International Studies Office

Do You Need a Visa Document from UVa?

Do You Need a Visa Document from UVa?

F-1 or J-1

Determine first whether you wish to obtain F-1 status or J-1 status. The vast majority of students at UVA choose F-1 status since J-1 status is only available to certain students and often comes with a two-year home residency requirement. More information about each classification may be found here.

Application for Visa Documents

Once you have made a decision about the visa status for which you qualify, complete the appropriate Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 Request on ISSP Connect

Financial Documentation and Requirements

In addition to the FGF, we will need to review your documents which confirm that ready bank funds exist to cover a miniumun of one year of study. Check the FGF for the required amount for your program of study. If the entire sum for all years of study is not immediately available in bank funds, additional documentation - such as a letter of employment for your sponsor - will be needed to demonstrate financial capability to fund the remaining years of study. 

Students receiving funding from their department should indicate the amount of funding on the FGF, and enclose a copy of the award letter from the department.

Passport as Indicator of Legal Name

Please provide a copy of your passport identity page, as visa documents must correspond to your legal name as it is entered on your passport.