A Division of the International Studies Office

Updates for International Students & Scholars

Updates for International Students & Scholars

Calendar of events



You are welcome to email us at [email protected], call 434-982-3010, or schedule an online meeting with an advisor through ISSP Connect.

ISO-ISSP Current Operations


The International Studies Office continues to provide services to international students and scholars online via Zoom and in-person at Minor Hall. Students can schedule to meet with an advisor through ISSP Connect. Select on an advisor with an open time slot and you will be sent Zoom credentials to be able to connect via internet or phone. If you want to meet in person, please make a comment under the schedule an appointment link for the day the advisor will be at Minor Hall.  More information on appointments can be found here.


All immigration requests need to be submitted online through ISSP Connect


How can I get my travel signature?

F-1 students will submit the "I-20 Reprint Request" request located on ISSP Connect. F-1 students will receive a digitally signed Form I-20. Those on OPT must receive a travel signature every 6 months. 
J-1 students will submit the "Travel Signature" request located on our ISSP Connect. You can drop off your DS-2019 at Minor Hall, or we will mail you a new Form DS-2019 with a travel signature via eShipGlobal.
J-1 scholars will submit the "Travel Signature" request on the ISSP Connect - Scholar Portal

Must students cease engaging in OPT if they are now working fewer than 20 hours a week due to the economic impacts of COVID-19?

For the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, SEVP considers students who are working in their OPT opportunities fewer than 20 hours a week as engaged in OPT.

How can I extend my form I-20?

If you will not finish your academic program by the date indicated on your Form I-20, you will need to submit our online extension request found in ISSP Connect. You will need to communicate with your Faculty Advisor or Associate Dean as this request requires their verification. You will also need to submit financial documents to support your extension. We will mail you your new Form I-20 via eShipGlobal.

I have an offer to work over the summer session. How can I apply for curricular practical training (CPT)?

Students interested in interning over the summer term in the United States must complete a Curricular Practical Training request found on our Forms page. You will first need to communicate with your Faculty Advisor or Career Center (undergrads only, email [email protected]) to inform them of your intent to participate in an internship or practical experience over the summer as you are required to register for an internship course.  We will mail you your new Form I-20 via eShipGlobal.

Undergraduate students: If you plan to take UNST 2820 from the Career Center, please click here to read through your additional requirements.

If you need to show proof of enrollment at the University, you may request verification from the National Student Clearinghouse.