March 2, 2022
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be a government official, you should:
- NEVER give the person any personal or financial information.
- If you have given out your financial information, contact your financial institution immediately!
- Do not provide debit card, credit card, gift cards, cryptocurrency, or any form of payment!
- ISO and the US Government and its agencies will never ask you to pay fees via phone or email.
- Try to collect contact information from the caller.
- End the conversation immediately if threats and intimidation persist.
- Immediately contact ISO and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations Tip Line to report the scam.
- Inform UVA Police Department with the details of your phone call. UVA Police Department's phone number is 434-924-7166.
- Review UVA's Security Alerts & Warnings
- Please refer to the informational page provided by Study in the States regarding scams.
Resources for Reporting Scams: