You are required to check in with the International Studies Office no later than 30 days after the start date indicated on your DS-2019 (see box #3). Failure to meet the 30-day window results in the immediate and automatic cancellation by the U.S. government of your DS-2019. If this occurs, your DS-2019 becomes invalid even if the expiration date in box #3 is in the future.
The check in process will be on-line until further notice. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic University offices, including the International Studies Office, are not staffed on Grounds. Staff are working remotely for the health and safety of all. You will need to do the following:
1. Read the reporting requirements and regulations for the J-1 program linked here: https://issp.virginia.edu/regulations-and-reporting-requirements
2. Complete the J-1 check in form linked on this page under "relevant documents"
3. Scan and email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Passport ID page
- I-94 arrival record print-out (can be obtained after arrival from the CBP website here.
- Completed and signed Check in form
- proof of appropriate health insurance coverage - policy description must be in English - insurance must be effective for the duration of the program as listed on the DS-2019 form. If you are receiving insurance through the University as a benefit of your employment you do not need to attach additional verification for the check in.
The check in form requires that you include a local US residential address and US phone number as this information is required by the US government. If you do not yet have a US phone number please list your department phone number NOT an international number.
You also need to attach documents for your spouse and/or minor children with J-2 status.
Review the information available in the scholar tab on our website.