Search This Site

A Division of the International Studies Office

Other Visa Statuses

Other Nonimmigrant Statuses For Students

Many students study at U.Va. in a qualifying derivative status that depends on the status of their spouse or parent. Note that individuals in certain statuses (such as F-2, B or M-2) are forbidden from engaging in any type of full-time study.

If you are residing in the U.S. in a derivative status, your spouse or parent must continue to maintain the conditions of his or her status (e.g. continue to work for his or her employer pursuant to all conditions of H-1B status).

Importantly, if you derive derivative status from your parent you will lose this status at the age of 21. The only exception to the above rule exists for individuals in A or G status who may remain in that status as long as they are members of the A or G household.

All international students are required to attend an ISO orientation session and are required to furnish the ISO with documentation of valid status in the U.S. Any student who will become ineligible for a derivitive status (such as H-4 status) on his or her 21st birthday should contact the ISO at least six months before turning 21 years of age.

It is essential that you inform the ISO immediately whenever there is a change to your legal status in the United States, including changes of visa status, applications for Permanent Residence, and the awarding of Permanent Residence. Failure to comply can have implications for hard waiver insurance, university fees, and other benefits.



An I-765 application to USCIS must be filed, with accompanying required documentation, to gain employment authorization in the U.S.  An approved application will result in the issuance of the EAD (Employment Authorization Document).  A valid EAD is required to engage in any employment in the U.S., including at the University, if your status permits employment.